Unit 7: Chemical Reactions
Remember: Any schedule changes are made to the Calendar, not this page!
Goal: To understand how to write and balance chemical equations and to predict the products when given the reactants.
Objectives: The student should be able to:
1. Identify the reactants and products in a chemical equation.
2. From the word equation for a chemical reaction, write and balance the formula equation for the reaction.
3. Use appropriate physical state symbols for the reactants and products when the physical state is known.
4. Identify a chemical reaction as one of the five major reaction types.
5. When given a set of reactants and reaction conditions, predict whether or not a chemical reaction will occur. If a reaction does occur, complete an equation (word or formula) showing the product(s) formed.
Nov 7: Discuss Unit V Exam; Begin Lecture: Balancing Equations
Nov 8: Finish Lecture: Balancing Equations
Nov 9: Quiz: Balancing Equations; Lecture: Reaction Types
Nov 10: Discuss Reaction Types Homework; Finish Lecture: Reaction Types
Nov 13: Quiz: Reaction Types; Discuss Predicting Products Homework
Nov 14: Lab: Reaction Types
Nov 15: Teacher Demonstrations
Nov 16: Quiz: Predicting Products; Review
Nov 17: Unit VII Exam
Nov 7: Balancing Equations HW
Nov 8: Study for Balancing Equations Quiz
Nov 9: Reaction Types HW
Nov 10: Study for Reaction Types Quiz; Begin Predicting Products HW
Nov 13: Prelab
Nov 15: Study for Predicting Products Quiz
Nov 16: Study for Exam
Lecture & Lab Materials (uploaded once per week):