Unit VI: Nomenclature
Remember: Any schedule changes are made to the Calendar, not this page!
Goal: The student will gain an understanding of the international system for naming chemical compounds.
Objectives: The student should be able to:
1. Differntiate between a symbol for an element and a formula for a compound.
2. Explain what a formula unit represents for
a) covalent compounds and b) ionic compounds
3. Use oxidation numbers or valences to write formulas for ionic compounds.
4. write the formula for a covalent compound from its chemical name.
5. Name a compound from its chemical formula.
6. Distinguish between a molecular formula and an empirical formula for a compound.
7. Write teh formulas for common acids when given the chemical name.
8. Name a common acid when given its chemical formula.
Oct 25: Discuss test, Begin Lecture on Writing Formulas
Oct 26: Quiz I Elements 1-18, Finish Lecture on Writing Formulas
Oct 27: Quiz II Elements 19036, Discuss homework on Formulas, Begin Lecture on Naming Compounds
Oct 30: Quiz III Formula Writing, Finish Lecture on Naming Compounds
Oct 31: discuss homeowrk
Nov 1 : Quiz IV Naming Compounds, Compound Craziness
Nov 2: Review for test
Nov 3: Unit VI Exam
Oct 25: Memorize names and symbols for elements 1-18 for Quiz I
Oct 26: Memorize names and symbols for elements 19-36 for Quiz II, worksheet I-Writing Formulas
Oct 27: Study for Quiz III Formula Writing
Oct 30: Worksheet II Naming Compounds
Oct 31: Study for Quiz IV Naming Compounds
Nov 1 : Review Worksheet on Nomenclature
Nov 2: Study for test
Nov 3: Read Chapter 10
Lecture & Lab Materals: